JF DH-98 Mosquito released
Page 1 of 13 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: JF DH-98 Mosquito released

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar

JF DH-98 Mosquito released

Come and get her fellas.

Also on a special price offer until the 12th of May.

http://www.justflight.com/product/dh...&utm_source=cm

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Thanks for the heads up

Looks good and when I sober up tomorrow I will probly pick it up
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day

Thanks for the "HU" Pat! Downloading her now!

Cheers,
    Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy74 View Post
    Thanks for the "HU" Pat! Downloading her now! Cheers, Tim.
    You won't regret it. Had a lot of fun with it earlier .

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Still very hot this one. I got a red warning saying that the file hadn't been downloaded many times and could harm my computer (I love that)!!

A mere 30mins in the air and a few things struck me. I'm not convinced by the soundset (though others may love it).. it has the same prop effect as seen on the Birdcage which looks ok front to rear but a little odd when viewed rear to front (which others may also love) and the nav lights. Don't switch em on as the Luftwaffe will see you coming from Berlin!

I've only looked at the paint in the screenie and I like it a lot. No reason to believe the others aren't equally well done. It's also a lovely flyer so the battle is all but won. Not had a chance to look around the cockpit in great detail but it looks nice and is suitably worn. Someone over on the JF forums said that DG's model was too fat. Well this little lady is no slim-jim either

Will this file harm my computer.. hell no. Nice to see a decent fighter version
    ATB
    DaveB

Bought, installed and flown for a short time.

WHAT a delight, finally a mossie that really flies like the Haynes manual decribes: NOT a 172 in a different skin. HUGE torque on take-off, difficult to control as it should. Quite a handfull; if you can't handle it it's you, not the aircraft. Twin throttle controls (Rhino X55) are now very handy. In flight handling and landing is easy just check and maintain correct speed.

The sound; perfect as it should: the propellor tips are VERY very close you can hear the tips speeding next to your ear with a different tone at different speeds. If fact the Haynes manual describes that when crash landing the pilot and navigator should pull their legs as far back as possible, feet and legs could be amputated by the props!

The Merlin engine sound as more subdued on the background. Sound from the outside is just the other way around. A beautifull worn cockpit, perhaps a bit too worn, lots of detail. My only remark: the prop textures observed from the inside (back/side) are way too heavy/solid. When I fly real world the prop is hardly visible from the back, just a bit shining in the sun. But a simple darkening of the alpha channel of the prop texture will solve it.

Very happy with this one, this is going to be my default aircraft for a long time.

Congratulations to JF and AH.

Paul

Icon14

Out-Bloody-Standing!
    What else can I say.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

A must have for me. As I'm not able to use the paintkit (not compible with psp7 and Gimp), I will either make my own paintkit or wait until somebody else produces a Mosquito from 305 (Polish) squadron.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Someone over on the JF forums said that DG's model was too fat. Well this little lady is no slim-jim either
    ATB
    DaveB
    This model seems even fatter than DG's, especially around the nose. I live right near where the KA114 Mossie is based and have seen her fly many times so I know how a mosquito should look. The JF Mosquito just doesn't look quite right to me. Based on the screenshots I think I prefer DG's anyway. I just wish he would have come out with a solid nose version of his model so I could paint it up as KA114...

As I'm not able to use the paintkit (not compible with psp7 and Gimp), I will either make my own paintkit or wait until somebody else produces a Mosquito from 305 (Polish) squadron.
    Darn it.. I was hoping you'd pick this one up as a continuation of your work on Dave's model. Damn shame you can't get into the PK
    ATB
    DaveB

I made a post here about the prop and it's gone. Any reason why?
    ATB
    DaveB

ATB
    DaveB
    Euhh no and I can't see there is a post deleted. Are you sure you pressed "Submit reply" after you had written the post?

And about repainting this model. as said perhaps I will make my own paintkit for this model.

Cheers,
    Huub

ATB
    DaveB
    Dave I can see your post #5 mentions the prop effect looking better from the front.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Hmm.. I made it after the PK post. Never mind.. just checking in case I'd stepped on someones foot

Re the Mossie's prop (rear view)..

For those who don't care for it much.. copy the alpha from prop_blur_3_t.dds.. resize it to 512x512.. then add it to prop_blur_3B_t.dds and save. The rear will now look as good as the front and it's all done with originally supplied equipment

Good news for Corsair Birdcage owners is that prop_blur_3B_t.dds exists there too so you can use the same texture for the Corsair. Of course.. backup your originals first
    ATB
    DaveB

I've been hanging out for the release of this baby.

Luv the Mossie - ever since reading Frederick E Smith's classic book '633 Squadron' waaaaay back in the 60's. Which was actually published the year I was born! And that was topped off by the movie with Cliff Robertson, and all the wonderful books by Martin Bowman.

Off to get it now.
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Hmm.. I made it after the PK post. Never mind.. just checking in case I'd stepped on someones foot

Good news for Corsair Birdcage owners is that prop_blur_3B_t.dds exists there too so you can use the same texture for the Corsair. Of course.. backup your originals first
    ATB
    DaveB
    Do you mean it can be used on the Mosquito as well no?
    Regards

I've corrected a few minor personal issues and now I have a superb aircraft that sits nicely with Dave Garwood's B.IV.

SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

I think I'll need to paint strip one and create an aluminium dope it, that will be required for our postwar RNZAF aircraft

I was fortunate enough to have had an inside run with the Mossie but I have decided that in order to get the full package and paint kit on my next pension day in 2 weeks time I will be making my contribution to JF. Yes it is a beautiful plane to fly and I found it very forgiving to my ham fisted attempts to destroy it.

Unfortunately this model is not suitable for a paint of the prototype but I have done one and it is here in the library.

Also I want to be able to do some Aussie repaints.

Cheers
    Pat

Nice model, well done JF/AH.
    The VC is really good. Those nav lights and prop blur had to go though! Exterior textures look a bit too weathered for my taste, but that's a matter of personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    Do you mean it can be used on the Mosquito as well no?
    Regards
    Hiya Beaufighter

Yup. The fix is primarily for the Mossie prop. It's a happy coincidence that the Corsair uses the same prop discs so it can be used on that too. The issue was worse on the Corsair as you had to look through the darned thing
    ATB
    DaveB

Is it just me.....or do the occupants look a little out of scale!? All the photo's I have ever seen of a Mossie the room in the cockpit looks a little tight. However, these two chaps look like have plenty of "head room"?

Besides that. What a great model!

Thank you AH,
    Tim...

I dunno about the crew Tim. Looking at the crews eyepoint in this shot.. they'd seem to be there or thereabouts..

For those wondering if they should fiddle with the props, here's what the alpha change looks like in FSX..

Note too the fitment of non-interstellar nav white which is rather more complicated to achieve
    ATB
    DaveB

Correct positioning of lights on aircraft is a well-known issue in FSX.

Great job on the Flight model Mal

Re the lights.. it's more a case of using standard fx which is the issue mate. The properties of all can be changed.. the result of which can be seen in that shot. It's only a small thing but can ruin the look of a model no matter how good it is. Aerial wires are another 'pet hate' of mine though thankfully.. I've seen nothing on recent JF/AH releases to cause concern
    ATB
    DaveB

Members who have read this thread: 2