JF DH-98 Mosquito released - Page 6
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: JF DH-98 Mosquito released

Thank you Jankees.

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Well, I had no problems whatsoever opening the paintkit, using CS6, so maybe I'm just lucky.
    JK here's one for ya , I brought the entire Adobe package , the 14 modules/extensions that come with it , Illustrator, Photoshop , InDesign are the regulars I use the rest sit dormant ... 95.9% of the time Greg , AKA: scaber stops here see me with the program up and running .. most parts working on my artwork .. other flightsim paint tho less interest at the mo .... but the repeated thing I say every time he walks in the door is ... "Did I tell you how much I love this Software" best $1100NZ dollars I have ever spent

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I originally did have some problems but was able to open the original PK in Photoshop CS3. I was also able to open it in PSP X5. I do get a message about something being unsupported but everything I need to paint is there. I have since, at a cost of $AU62, upgraded up to PSP X8 and looking at some RAAF Mossies to paint.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Pat never used a paint kit PK .. Mossie being wood .. I just used sand paper and a lotta

Mosquito FB Mk VI HP862 "3-O" of No 333 (Norwegian) Sqn/ B Flight based at RAF Leuchars in the spring of 1944 (A-flight flew Catalina's). It was painted in the "Special Coastal duties scheme A". The original factory applied green/grey scheme was simply overpainted with extra dark sea grey and sky on the under surfaces at sqn local maintenance units and most often all of the stencils and other decals were overpainted (the stencils are visible on the screenshots, but have now been removed).

B-Flight later become famous for its role as pathfinders or outriders as they were called for the Banff strike wing. A role the Norwegians were very well suited for as the Norwegian west coast was the main area of operation for the wing. The fighting against both German warships and merchant ships transporting German supplies along the Norwegian coast intensified towards the last months of the war facing stiff opposition from not only the ships themselves but also from the network of Luftwaffe bases along the coast with well equipped and rested units of JG5. The wing crippled the German sea transport route along the coast, but took heavy loses right up to the VE day. At some point the life expectancy of a Mosquito crew was just 6 missions from sources I have read.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    Mosquito FB Mk VI HP862 "3-O" of No 333 (Norwegian) Sqn/ B Flight based at RAF Leuchars in the spring of 1944 (A-flight flew Catalina's). It was painted in the "Special Coastal duties scheme A". The original factory applied green/grey scheme was simply overpainted with extra dark sea grey and sky on the under surfaces at sqn local maintenance units and most often all of the stencils and other decals were overpainted (the stencils are visible on the screenshots, but have now been removed).

B-Flight later become famous for its role as pathfinders or outriders as they were called for the Banff strike wing. A role the Norwegians were very well suited for as the Norwegian west coast was the main area of operation for the wing. The fighting against both German warships and merchant ships transporting German supplies along the Norwegian coast intensified towards the last months of the war facing stiff opposition from not only the ships themselves but also from the network of Luftwaffe bases along the coast with well equipped and rested units of JG5. The wing crippled the German sea transport route along the coast, but took heavy loses right up to the VE day. At some point the life expectancy of a Mosquito crew was just 6 missions from sources I have read.

Yes Jens, but lets not forget the brave Beaufighter crews from Banff's neighbour Dallachy who flew alongside the Mosquito's. Sadly, today there's little left of either airfield, Banff's now a wind farm and Dallachy's a rubbish tip and industrial estate. For many years I've been trying to source a book called "Strike and Strike Again" about the Dallachy Wing but without succsess.

Ian

Very true. I have previously covered the Dallachy Beaufighters with a repaint package:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...light=dallachy

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Outstanding JensOle!
    And I regularly 'fly' the Dallachy Beaufighters thanks to your great repaints and my affection for the aircraft!
    I guess I'll head over to the usual place if you've uploaded them there!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post
    ... For many years I've been trying to source a book called "Strike and Strike Again" about the Dallachy Wing but without succsess.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Strike-Agai...g=UTF8&qid=&sr=
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Blog Entries
    Many thanks for that, it must have been re-issued!

Ian

The aircrews flying from Banff and Dallachy certainly showed extreme courage. Day after day going to attack heavily armed FLAK ships at point blank ranges at the same time as battling FW190's and Bf109s knowing the losses would be high. This at a time everyone could see the war was going to end soon. Respect.

As a side note so did I read in the book "A separate little war" by Andrew Bird about the Banff strike wing that the Norwegian 333 Sqn actually was the very first coastal command Mosquito sqn (beside a weather recce unit with PR/Bs) when they after a long fight with fighter command got their hands on 6 F.II in 1943. Up to that date Coastal Command had always used the types delegated down after fighter and bomber command service. It marked a turning point with a much more offensive approach in anti ship strike operations against German shipping.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Very nice. Looking forward to this one. Thanks, JensOle
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Now I've bought it there's interesting paintjobs to try; more power to your brush, JensOle!

Where does one fly one's new toy? To the favourite corner of the UK, and I can see the range and cruising speed being a bonus for long sightseeing flights with the evenings getting lighter.

I got the paintkit open in Photoshop CS4, too.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

You've not changed the prop yet.. or do you like that look?
    ATB
    DaveB

Brutha, ah only jes' gettin' it and that is fust flight. Patients, as they say in the NHS...
    Tom

hahahahahahahaha

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Where does one fly one's new toy?
    If you're in FSX, then search FlightSim on "Terry Boissel" for dozens of old UK airfields re-made to the WWII era. I have ORBX ENG in P3D, which makes it a little more difficult.

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40-4.69GHz | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia RTX2060 8GB | Win10 2004 64-bit 24Gb RAM

Still loving this one..

...and waiting for some additional skins..
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Now there's irony.. the JF Mossie ICW a Spitfire wearing Dave Garwoods initials

ATB
    DaveB

The JF Mossie, in its little black dress by JK, doesn't look chubby at all, but I never thought Dave's did, anyway. Click for a full-screen pic.

That looks like a sinister black lady! I remember to have read somewhere that the black scheme lowered the top speed by a considerable margin.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

That looks like a sinister black lady! I remember to have read somewhere that the black scheme lowered the top speed by a considerable margin.
    That's interesting - I can see where gloss would give a drag advantage over matte, but I am not convinced it would be 'considerable'. Not to worry - I like the way it flies in FSX.
    BTW, Jens, where will your paints be available for download? (When you choose to release them, of course)

MikeW

It was the sooty black finish. From nowhere at all the figure of 16 knots comes into my mind, but I have no idea why.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    It was the sooty black finish. From nowhere at all the figure of 16 knots comes into my mind, but I have no idea why.
    The original A&AEE Report: -

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.o...uito/w4076.pdf

Cheers

Paul

The RAF tesed it to be 20mph slower with the black scheme and for a fighter that is close to considerable slower. That was why the rest of the Mosquito night fighters kept the standard camo scheme it was delivered with from DH

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Members who have read this thread: 2