JF DH-98 Mosquito released - Page 7
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: JF DH-98 Mosquito released

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Now there's irony.. the JF Mossie ICW a Spitfire wearing Dave Garwoods initials

ATB
    DaveB

-- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski_NZ View Post
    ...search FlightSim on "Terry Boissel" for dozens of old UK airfields re-made to the WWII era.
    Thanks! Thought I'd try a more recent venue: trying not to break it at Strathallan:–

I've swapped prop textures...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

That's immediately obvious

The more I see this model.. the more I notice how light the cockpit is when viewed from spot.. too light me thinks.
    ATB
    DaveB

That's immediately obvious

The more I see this model.. the more I notice how light the cockpit is when viewed from spot.. too light me thinks.
    ATB
    DaveB
    Light? You referring to the glass or something else?
    -- WH

I'm not sure what's the cause of it but just look at all the screenies posted.. those by JensOle and Mike in particular.. even that rear shot Tom posted. I appreciate it's a full glass canopy but the cockpit looks too light. The shots JensOle posted of his paint look like there's a light on inside. Or is it just me...

ATB
    DaveB

Perhaps its that panel at the back of the cockpit? Or maybe the green cockpit frame?

I just like to fly the darn thing and hunt for repaints.

Cheers
    -- WH

It would be great to see this thing tacpacked

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    ...I just like to fly the darn thing and hunt for repaints...
    You and me both, and I like to hunt down airfields in VFR: spent ages finding Strathallan
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joe bob View Post
    It would be great to see this thing tacpacked
    Yes! The JF Tornado will get Tacpacked, so I had hoped it would be standard policy.

It would have been so easy to TacPack this. The only issue is the lack of correct ordinance.

My two first Norwegian Leuchars Mosquitos are getting closer to release, both are in the "Special Coastal Duties Scheme A".

-FB MKVI HP862 "3-O" of No 333 (Nor) Sqn, B-flight based at RAF Leuchars in the spring of 1944

-FB MKVI HP904 "3-E" of No 333 (Nor) Sqn, B-flight based at RAF Leuchars in the autumn of 1944. This aircraft has been photographed with something looking like overpainted D-day stripes, but no source has ever showed proof of that the Norwegian Mosquitos (which never went south for the invasion) ever carried the stripes. Most likely an aircraft which carried the stripes with its previous sqn.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    My two first Norwegian Leuchars Mosquitos are getting closer to release, both are in the "Special Coastal Duties Scheme A".

-FB MKVI HP862 "3-O" of No 333 (Nor) Sqn, B-flight based at RAF Leuchars in the spring of 1944

-FB MKVI HP904 "3-E" of No 333 (Nor) Sqn, B-flight based at RAF Leuchars in the autumn of 1944. This aircraft has been photographed with something looking like overpainted D-day stripes, but no source has ever showed proof of that the Norwegian Mosquitos (which never went south for the invasion) ever carried the stripes. Most likely an aircraft which carried the stripes with its previous sqn.
    We wait patiently!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    We wait patiently!
    What he said...
    -- WH

Icon5 Serious question here

Ok. I'm not a painter, but I do collect, install and admire aircraft textures from others.

How come there are no more repaints for the JF Mossie? So far there are only two created by Jankees (and thank you very, very much) and JensOle indicated he might have a couple more, but that is about it.

I've got so many repaints for the A2A Texan that I'm having to pick and choose which ones to install. Its amazing how much HD space these paints can consume.

So, why not paints for the Mossie? I'm curious. Paint kit too tough? No interest?
    -- WH

Hiya WH

I think the main problem is the paintkit. It's not that it's tough.. more that only one or two are able to open it without errors.. the remainder are either making their own PK (which takes time) or have given up.. or CBA
    ATB
    DaveB

Blog Entries
    I was able to open the PK in Photoshop CS6 with no issues but have not had the time to do any work on this plane. I'm up to the eyeballs in other projects ATM.

Just an FYI, the PK is reasonably well laid out, but my preference is to have a clean wireframe and template to start with. The PK, while good and containing excellent layers for weathering etc. would like to see these layers added.

Maybe a bit down the road I will have time to make that contribution.

I do have an entire set of excellent skins I did for the CBFS Mossie, and those could be relatively quickly adapted to the layers for this model. Maybe I'll do that in bits and pieces, but the masses will need to have patience with me on this one.

BTW, those skins are lurking about on this site somewhere, if anyone with Photoshop skills wishes to modify those to their personal JF/AH model. Just don't upload those here or to another site without my permission. Thanks
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Hiya WH

I think the main problem is the paintkit. It's not that it's tough.. more that only one or two are able to open it without errors.. the remainder are either making their own PK (which takes time) or have given up.. or CBA
    ATB
    DaveB
    Thanks, Dave. Makes sense. I thought that JF had come up with another PK? Maybe just wishful thinking. I assume that the issue has been reported to JF support? Shame on them if its not rectified by now.

Cheers
    -- WH

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    I was able to open the PK in Photoshop CS6 with no issues but have not had the time to do any work on this plane. I'm up to the eyeballs in other projects ATM.

Just an FYI, the PK is reasonably well laid out, but my preference is to have a clean wireframe and template to start with. The PK, while good and containing excellent layers for weathering etc. would like to see these layers added.

Maybe a bit down the road I will have time to make that contribution.

I do have an entire set of excellent skins I did for the CBFS Mossie, and those could be relatively quickly adapted to the layers for this model. Maybe I'll do that in bits and pieces, but the masses will need to have patience with me on this one.

BTW, those skins are lurking about on this site somewhere, if anyone wishes to modify those to their JF/AH model.
    Thanks, Gman. Best I can do at the moment is stir the pot, buy the beer, and encourage whoever I can.
    -- WH

They did come up with another PK mate and I can't open that one either.. without errors. Maybe folk aren't as enamoured with it as one might think. I agree on the endless stream of Texan paints. I'm fed up with seeing them to be honest!!

ATB
    DaveB

Blog Entries
    They did come up with another PK mate and I can't open that one either.. without errors. Maybe folk aren't as enamoured with it as one might think. I agree on the endless stream of Texan paints. I'm fed up with seeing them to be honest!!

ATB
    DaveB
    I'll follow up on that and have a look Dave. I'll pop back in here once I've seen the new PK. To be honest I gave it a quick peruse, then went back to my higher priority stuff.

Edit:

Downloaded the current PK from the site and had a look. None of the issues opening the file in PS as others have gotten so I can't make an evaluation there.

As far as the layout goes, there is a "mesh" layer, but not the clean one that would be extracted from the UVW map in 3DStudio or Gmax, and only on the fuselage. No wireframe for the wings.

There is enough raw data to extrapolate a more elaborate PK but it would require some effort, and that doesn't address the lack of wire frame on the wing.
    Best thing I could do would be to request that JF have a look at the requests for these items and see if they would be good enough to make those available.

If I were in possession of those wireframes, I could compose a kick arse PK that would do justice to this model.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Same here, its that time thingy, no issues with painting tho I don't use a paint kit, currently have one in the works creating an aluminium dope looking the post war aircraft used.

Yup.. throughout this thread, the entry level for using the PK without errors is PS6. This will exclude those with lower versions that don't want to start 'remakes' in one easy swipe. I'm sure paints will eventually start seeping through but not at the speed or number of those for the Texan. While the A2A PK will open in just about anything (which helps).. it's true to say that there are more variations of paint that will fit that model which is another reason why repaints are so prolific

ATB
    DaveB

Blog Entries
    Yup.. throughout this thread, the entry level for using the PK without errors is PS6. This will exclude those with lower versions that don't want to start 'remakes' in one easy swipe.

ATB
    DaveB

Oh boy...don't get me started.

It looks like the PK was composed in CS6 and is somehow now proprietary to that version. I was lucky enough to purchase 3DStudio Max2015 and Photoshop CS6 before they went to purely subscription based.

One thing that reeeaaallllllly irks the friggin' heck out of me is to spend the kind of money these people ask for the software...(read TOOL), then demand that one relegate themselves to the whims of the internet in order to access the $4,000 program that should boot on demand...regardless of one's indentured servitude to the host company.

That said, I do freely admit that I merely "rent" Prepar 3D until such time that a benchmark version of the program is released, i.e. 64bit P3D v(googleplex) that I would be comfortable hanging my hat on.
    Last edited by gman5250; May 10th, 2016 at 16:16.
    Thomas Jefferson

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I was critical of the PK at first but I upgraded my PSP X5 to X8 and was able to open it with no problems. I feel that the biggest problem lies with Adobe not allowing paint kits created in CS6 to be backward compatible.

Having said that I have several RAAF Mosquitos on my list but like GMan and Ian Warren I have several airports being created for OZx that I am involved with beta testing which makes me rather time poor.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Well I have paint stripped .. next is the alloy dope .. now were is my paint brush

Members who have read this thread: 1