JF DH-98 Mosquito released - Page 9
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: JF DH-98 Mosquito released

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberlegs View Post
    Side note, Last Sept marked NZ off my 'Bucket-List". Visited son in Wellington and spent 4 weeks camper-touring N+S Islands. I know the Vampire you mentioned hanging at Wigram. Awesome holiday!! Awesome country!!
    Walt , Next time your in country, Give me a nudge, I'll get you in the back door at Wigram and places you cannot see and meet the guy's in the back, they would love to hear your connection to the Mossie over a coffee in the workshop canteen.

Thanks for the 'Invite'

Good day Ian..
    ......thanks for the 'invite'. the line..'meet the guys via the back door' brings on a flood of memories. Our back-door opened into hanger #2 at DHC and the smell of dope, zinc-chromate and the sounds of the 'drop-hammer'. Can't refuse that offer but must wait awhile as next trip down is planned for 2017 to mesh with son's family holidays. Have placed your info on my calendar.

Thanks again

Walt
    Fly high....Punch Holes in the Sky.

.................................................. ............................................

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    Walt , Next time your in country, Give me a nudge, I'll get you in the back door at Wigram and places you cannot see and meet the guy's in the back, they would love to hear your connection to the Mossie over a coffee in the workshop canteen.

FB MKVI RF590 "KK-H" of No 333 (Nor) Sqn, B-flight based at RAF Banff in April 1945. With the crew of Mid.
    Løken and F/Sgt. Engstrøm this aircraft flew as "Outrider" for a Banff Strike Wing attack on Porsground harbour on 11th
    April 1945. After successfully guiding the strike force to its target KK-H was shot down by german fighters with the loss
    of both crew members.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Super job JensOle, and a fine tribute.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Nice one JensOle, I do like the history that follows up on these paints.

Thanks! I find the historical research side of our hobby is equally fun as flying :-)

One of the very first Mosquito's in use by the Norwegians was F MK.II DZ700 "H", it was in fact the second Mosquito received by the new B-flight of 333 Sqn in the spring of 1943 at Leuchars. H was the only one from the first batch of 6 aircraft to survive the first 5 months of operations. On June 13th 1943 "H" was used by Lt. Skavhaugen and PO. Heide to shot down the first German aircraft by B-flight, a Do 24.

H was maybe the most photographed of the Norwegian Mosquitos and good pictures shows all sides of the aircraft.

Slightly different camo pattern than KK-H seen above.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    Thanks! I find the historical research side of our hobby is equally fun as flying
    Yes Indeed ! .. I did not touch my Mossie this last weekend, busy with other projects ... another great paint and further history reference

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I am doing some RAAF repaints of the Mosquito and have come across these two items but can't seem to find where they belong.

The green one is from the left side template and the purple one is from the right side template.

Help will be much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mos_left.jpg   mos_right.jpg  

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Pat , still have not had a chance to looking at the paint kit ... again reason I do the paint stripping, again have not looks at my Mossie this weekend.

The left are the cannon blast tubes. The right one I have never seen a reason to paint in any other colour than how they are..

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Slightly OT, but I see that one of the included JF colour schemes is for Bob Braham's a/c. His "Scramble" is one of the very best accounts of the night fighter war, up there with Rawnsley's "Night Fighter" about his partnership with John Cunningham. It's long out of print, but well worth finding if you can.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

The left are the cannon blast tubes. The right one I have never seen a reason to paint in any other colour than how they are..
    Thanks JensOle. The only reason I painted them that colour was to highlight them so I knew what I was actually painting and where they belonged. The right ones will stay the original colour and the left ones will match the aircraft colour scheme.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Thanks! I find the historical research side of our hobby is equally fun as flying :-)

One of the very first Mosquito's in use by the Norwegians was F MK.II DZ700 "H", it was in fact the second Mosquito received by the new B-flight of 333 Sqn in the spring of 1943 at Leuchars. H was the only one from the first batch of 6 aircraft to survive the first 5 months of operations. On June 13th 1943 "H" was used by Lt. Skavhaugen and PO. Heide to shot down the first German aircraft by B-flight, a Do 24.

H was maybe the most photographed of the Norwegian Mosquitos and good pictures shows all sides of the aircraft.

Slightly different camo pattern than KK-H seen above.

Looking forward to this one. Thanks, JensOle.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Jock , for some reason the four gunned four cannon Mossie really is a kicker, off all things when with the aeronautical society they run gun not camera footage of a Mosquito diving in onto shipping in Norway, it was very unique and was from the navigators seat on cine cam and I have not seemed to find the same clip on Utube or anywhere else, I do have still photos off something very close, it was when rolling into the attack, of all things they have a Mosquito attack simulator running at the Wigram Airforce Museum ... sometimes they can be difficult least with their media sometimes.

It must have been a rather scary experience to be on the receiving end of a 40+ Mossie Banff strike wing ship attack. The gun footage is really showing how the cannons and rockets are eating up the ships.

The Banff and Dallachy wings were rather multinational, albeit under RAF control, NZ, Canadian, Aussie and Norwegian squadrons made important contributions. With pilots coming from even more countries including France and the USA.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

It must have been a rather scary experience to be on the receiving end of a 40+ Mossie Banff strike wing ship attack. The gun footage is really showing how the cannons and rockets are eating up the ships.
    YEAH ! they just dropped in and all hell breaking loose .. I think that puts in a mind set were we today cannot see ... JO .... Idea for a new painting Really would have to be something special, ... so many requests and so many idea's ... I don't want anything been there done that ... guess I'd better scan my 40 year old ball point pen drawing to give ya an idea!

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

My word, they went in low over the North Sea! Also reassuring to see how many of these unguided missiles ... miss. Just like in CFS3.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

It is impressive footage there, I'd love to get my hands on the stuff, I'll ask around that sort off stuff is archived, It's just finding it

The current line up of Mosquitos from 333 Sqn is as follows:

-F Mk.II DZ700 "H" of No 333 (Nor) Sqn, B-flight based at RAF Leuchars in the summer of 1943

-FB MK.VI HP862 "3-O" of No 333 (Nor) Sqn, B-flight based at RAF Leuchars in the spring of 1944

-FB MK.VI HP904 "3-E" of No 333 (Nor) Sqn, B-flight based at RAF Leuchars in the autumn of 1944

-FB MK.VI RF590 "KK-H" of No 333 (Nor) Sqn, B-flight based at RAF Banff in the spring of 1945

-FB MK.VI RF831 "KK-G" of No 333 (Nor) Sqn, B-flight based at RAF Banff in May 1945.
    Part of 334 Sqn from June and flew with the squadron back to Norway on the 8th June.

-FB MK.VI RF769 "KK-P" of No 333 (Nor) Sqn, B-flight based at RAF Banff in May 1945.
    Part of 334 Sqn from June and flew with the squadron back to Norway on the 8th June.

I'll pack them all up (including the first two) as a package covering the Norwegian Mosquito war service.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

The current line up of Mosquitos from 333 Sqn is as follows:

-F Mk.II DZ700 "H" of No 333 (Nor) Sqn, B-flight based at RAF Leuchars in the summer of 1943

-FB MK.VI HP862 "3-O" of No 333 (Nor) Sqn, B-flight based at RAF Leuchars in the spring of 1944

-FB MK.VI HP904 "3-E" of No 333 (Nor) Sqn, B-flight based at RAF Leuchars in the autumn of 1944

-FB MK.VI RF590 "KK-H" of No 333 (Nor) Sqn, B-flight based at RAF Banff in the spring of 1945

-FB MK.VI RF831 "KK-G" of No 333 (Nor) Sqn, B-flight based at RAF Banff in May 1945.

-FB MK.VI RF769 "KK-P" of No 333 (Nor) Sqn, B-flight based at RAF Banff in May 1945.

I'll pack them all up (including the first two) as a package covering the Norwegian Mosquito war service.
    Very nice!

Looking forward to them.

Cheers

Paul

A few interesting pictures from the digital Norwegian museum archive:

Low level along the coast. The picture really show how low they were flying over the north sea

http://digitaltmuseum.no/01101273102...9#&gid=1&pid=1

January 44 shooting down of a He-115 by 333 sqn, FB.VI "P"

http://digitaltmuseum.no/01101273100...0#&gid=1&pid=1

http://digitaltmuseum.no/01101273129...3#&gid=1&pid=1

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

I am doing some RAAF repaints. Some have the exhaust shrouds on and others don't. I have noticed that with the exhaust shrouds off the side panel is very ill-fitting and shows a good deal of the rocker cover. Also a goodly amount of piping and wiring can be seen below the exhausts as well.

Is there a way you can tighten up the opening in the panel so only the exhausts can be seen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Exhaust 3.jpg   Exhaust 1.jpg   Exhaust 2.jpg  

Cheers
    Pat

Brilliant JO .. never seen those before .. incredible photos, pleased you posted those

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    I am doing some RAAF repaints. Some have the exhaust shrouds on and others don't. I have noticed that with the exhaust shrouds off the side panel is very ill-fitting and shows a good deal of the rocker cover. Also a goodly amount of piping and wiring can be seen below the exhausts as well.

Is there a way you can tighten up the opening in the panel so only the exhausts can be seen.
    Sadly that is how JF has made the model. We can of course hope they will consider remodeling it in an update. Strange how mistakes as this happens on payware models. very easy to spot and should have been seen and fixed early on in the process.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Members who have read this thread: 1