scenery objects creation help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: scenery objects creation help

Question Anyone use GMAX to create infrastructure objects for CFS2?

Hello Good People,
    Just wondering if anyone has successfully created any infrastructure objects for CFS2 using GMAX.
    I am attempting this and have run into some problems. Namely How does one successfully convert the *.xml files into working *.bgl file.
    I can create the "BGL" file but when I place it into CFS2's scenery folder and load up MB and go to place the object/infrastructure item I get the error - "Can't find the model in the library" I have tried to go into the scenery selection area and add it but that doesn't seem to correct the issue.
    I have also created an object.dp file and added the object to the "Mdlname.txt file.
    No luck there either.
    I believe my problem lies within my *.xml file prior using BGLComp.exe. Not sure though.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks in advance
    Steve

Hi Steve;

Yes I've used GMax for all of the objects I've created over the years. Sadly I've been away from it for almost two years and am in the process of getting back up to speed. There are several people here that use GMax and I'm sure they'll chime in before long. I'll be watching this thread very intently. Thanks for posting you question.
    Happy Trails! www.officialponyexpress.org

Pen32Win

For my D/L's Search for both Pen32Win and AF=Midway. There are also files in the Archives under AF=Midway.

Hi Steve
    Here to help.
    You will need the gmax gamepack that the mkmdl saves the asm code.
    You can download the game pack at soh.
    You will need Raw2sca from http://webpages.charter.net/ludowr and
    bglc_9 from http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59 ( Bglc_9 is what I use )
    When you have these tools PM ME
    Robert John

Hi Steve2112.
    From your reference to xml files I'd guess you are using the the Gmax/FS2004 game pack.
    Im afraid CFS2 does not support xml at all.
    You need to use the fs2002 game pack to export to CFS2.
    This will enable you to export your creations as a scenery bgl.
    You will have to set the location when you export, you will then be able to install the scenery and view it in CFS2.
    However you want to make infrastructure that can be used in mission builder.
    I have to tell you that there is no GUI program that does this in a simple click.
    I am not at my desktop at the moment so I can't just post all the files you need here or even the links, I will come back later and do so if you havent already found them.

The best version of MakeMDL is the one that comes with the FS2002 Makemdl SDK, it is not the same as the one on the FS2002 pro Disks or the Gamepack itself.

For advanced work and indeed an easier work sequence I'd recomend using an extra plugin called MDL Commander by Doc Moriarty.

There is also a small toolkit to assist in the job I cannot find a link ATM.

The export proccess goes like this, Export the work as scenery from Gmax but make sure to check the Keep files on the options tab of MakeMDL.
    The files kept have the .asm suffix. (modelname.asm and modelname_0.asm)
    The larger file modelname_0.asm is the one we want. If this is dragged and dropped into
    BGLC.exe a raw BGL will be made. This is then decompiled using Raw2SCA (a tool in the tool kit)
    The resulting modelname_0.sca.
    Then we build a source to build a new object library that "includes" the sca we just made.
    Once again the toolkit comes with a template and instructions.
    I know there are other members here who have all the files you need, Maybe they will step in before I return to my desk top machine.

SOH-CM-2013
    Madison County, Iowa (3rd Corn Patch On The Left)

MDL Commander

Can be D/L'd from Doc Moriarty's page HERE:

http://www.docmoriarty.com/msfs/en/mdlcommander_dl.html
    "...And, When I died, They washed me out of the turret with a hose..."

First off - Thank you ALL for your support.
    It is simply amazing how many people go out of there way to assist others in need.
    Thank you.

Ok so I owe you all an apology – I posted my initial request for help in the Forums/Designer’s Workshop/Landscapers Forum under the post of: GMAX CFS2 Object Creation Question.

There was no initial response to my post for what I felt at the time was to long and I also thought that perhaps I posted in the wrong forum. So I started this thread here.

So – Now I have two threads running with some outstanding support. I apologize for creating two separate posts/threads.
    Some really great support has been provided to me by many of you.
    To help other’s in need in the future that may search on this topic for help, I would like to close this thread and direct you all to use my initial post/thread in Forum/Designer’s Workshop/Landscapers/GMAX CFS2 Creation Question.

Lastly – To bring you all up to speed on this thread.

I have successfully created a GMAX exported infrastructure object.bgl that is viewable within CFS2.
    Sorry for not responding sooner, I ran into some issues at home that required my full attention.
    Car battery on the Wife's car died. When it rains it pours. It's been replaced and reinstalled.

Ok so I am now flooded with a ton of questions about how to configure GMAX to export to a BGL using the FS2002 game pack’s folder. (FS2002 GMAX SDK's)

How does one configure this? I still have not found a way to configure GMAX to use the FS2002 SDK's game pack directly.

I had to export using the FS2004 game pack and then drag my BGL over the FS2002 MakeMDL.exe and then copy that bgl to my scenery folder. Some how this worked. (Mind you my object is VERY basic at this stage, a simple sphere).

I am still wondering why I have to add the Lon/Lat information to my bgl. This seems a little strange.

So just that I understand this, each new infrastructure object.bgl I create will be floating or sitting in space somewhere within CFS2 at the designated location I specify? So are all infrastructure object.bgl’s floating or sitting somewhere else with-in CFS2 as well?

Crashaz & Rhumbaflappy you guys have been very helpful so far and I wanted to say thank you.

Crashaz to answer your question - Yes If it would be possible to get a copy of your FS2002 folder that you posted the picture of that would be great. That way I can compare my files to yours and go from there. Hopefully that will help.

Rhumbaflappy - Yes I would very much like to progress onto making a Library Object, and eventually a destroyable Library Object.

Thanks again guys.

scenery objects creation help

Hey all,

I'm trying to create scenery objects for CFS2 and I can't seem to get it right. I've built the model in FSDS3, I compile an aircraft mdl, then decompile it to an .scx with mdldis32. Then edit the header and enda to endobj. Use scasm to compile a bgl and I get an error in cfs2 or the model is not visible. I'm following weapons creation tutorials as I used to make weapons all of the time. I'm trying to create a tree line object so far consisting of a very simple textured box. Are static objects different than weapons? The other thing that is confusing is that one tutorial says,"Open the sca up in notepad (or wordpad) and delete everything from the top till where it says "; CRASH Detection" and replace it with:
    Header( 1 90 -89 180 -179 )
    LibID( xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx ) ;any 4 32bit Hex numbers
    LibObj("

the next one says,"
    Go to the folder it was saved in and open the .SCA file in a text editor (notepad)

and delete all the text, etc. down to but not including the BGLVersion( 0800 )line."

The last one says,"Now, delete everything until you see ";*** Start of Main Aircraft Code ***"

Who is correct?

I know the BGLVersion( 800 ) version is the one I used successfully back in the day for weapons.

Thank you profusely for your help.

ShpHawK

also

I also cannot get cfs2 to render my model as an aircraft MDL. I have a feeling this is the larger part of the problem. It says MDL creation was successful, but CFS2 says Error the visual model cannot be displayed. I'm using mkmdl from the fs02 sdk. I have a feeling this is the larger part of the problem. Thanks again for the help.

ShpHawK

IIRC FSDS needs to be version 2.24(?) to create a CFS 2 mdl file. I think the software designer is receptive to requests for supplying this older version...

Hi S,
    Blimey!!!

Yes and no....there is very little difference between destroyable objects and scenery objects. One has two states and the other just one. Yes you can use your method and just not have two states ie undamaged and damaged, just don't have the first stage which is the destroyable version in the sca. The first description that you mention is the correct one, I think that's from Tango_Romeo?

Just a test please, re-your mdl conversions not showing up, make sure you're using a CFS2 compatible airfile, not a Fs9. I expect you are using a good airfile, but just asking the obvious first.

It's difficult get a clear picture of what you're doing, as you jump between BGL's and MDL's. Did you then try and make the tree as an mdl to see if it would show up as an ac, just to test it out?

Unfortunately as you know FSDS 3x will not export as a CFS2 compatible model, either an mdl or bgl. With an ac mdl making it CFS2 compatible, you can use MDLC (Mk_MDLC v2). It's here in the archive, install, and then run to convert your created mdl to be compatible. Please read Ivan's README that come's with it. Export from FSDS 3x as an ac mdl and then convert it using MDLC.

NOTE where I have said MDL or BGL, as you cannot convert BGL's using MDLC only MDL's.

You can sca or hex edit the mdl or bgl but TBH the easiest way is to get hold of FSDS 2.24, you can have this installed as well as FSDS 3x. This will make CFS2 compatible ac and scenery straight off without all the messing around m'larky. If you get FSDS 2.24 visual errors in the solid 3D perspective view pane, you can make the item in FSDS 3x and then open it in 2.24 (turning the view pane to display a non-solid mesh visual), and then export it direct to CFS2.

If you really want to go a merrily MDL hex editing kit to change headers etc, I've got a good kit that works, which I used to use years ago...but please just get FSDS 2.24...it will save time, disappointment and sanity...

Cheers

Shessi

Ha! Wot UT said!

I know bgls made using the MS MakeMdl for fs2002 work in cfs2.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

So what do you want to make?

If you want to get your feet wet, I'm doing model conversions. I'm using Gmax and taking API macros and making them into destroyable models. Its a good way to learn Gmax.

If you have FSDS 3 you may want to ask if they can send you a copy of FSDS 2.24. Other wise Gmax will be your only option at this point.

We may be able to take a model made with FSDS 3 and export it into Gmax. The mapping will be lost (I think). Shessi or Allen would have to confirm that.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    So what do you want to make?

If you want to get your feet wet, I'm doing model conversions. I'm using Gmax and taking API macros and making them into destroyable models. Its a good way to learn Gmax.

If you have FSDS 3 you may want to ask if they can send you a copy of FSDS 2.24. Other wise Gmax will be your only option at this point.

We may be able to take a model made with FSDS 3 and export it into Gmax. The mapping will be lost (I think). Shessi or Allen would have to confirm that.
    Mapping will be fine if you Model Converter X to make the FSDS model to a .3ds. Object smoothing will be lost.

That would make things easier-ish. But you could then export it using Gmax. You may have to use the FS2004 sdk. Depending on what you want it for.

Allen did a wonderful .bat file for exploding objects. Actually he has made four different .bat files. one for weapons, Ships, Fs2002 sdk and one for the FS2004 SDK.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    That would make things easier-ish. But you could then export it using Gmax. You may have to use the FS2004 sdk. Depending on what you want it for.

Allen did a wonderful .bat file for exploding objects. Actually he has made four different .bat files. one for weapons, Ships, Fs2002 sdk and one for the FS2004 SDK.
    He may have to use gMax as from what I remember FSDS 2 won't install on Win7 or newer systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    He may have to use gMax as from what I remember FSDS 2 won't install on Win7 or newer systems.
    FSDS 2.24 is a 16 bit application, as such it will not install on a 64 bit system like mine, however, If you are running the correct version of 7, as I am, You can run windows xp mode, or use another 32 bit virtual machine. Though I haven't tried it yet, I'm pretty sure it should run on 32 bit windows 7. If I absolutely cannot stand xp mode, I will try it.

Thanks Shessi, Allen, UncleTgt, and Bloodhawk23. I really appreciate the help. I kind of thought I had to go back to 2.24. Bloodhawk23, I appreciate the offer, but I never really cared for the UI in Gmax. To me, FSDS is so much more intuitive.

ShpHawK

PS UncleTgt,

check out the Tetsuban thread. It's for you.

Not many have Win7 32bit. This mean most FSDS2 users will need to change to gMax or virtual machine the program. My understanding is that FSDS2 will run on Win7 64bit but can't register thing things so it is stuck "Trial Mode".

The only thing related to a virtual machine I have messed with is DOSBox to get MDLC working on 64bit systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Not many have Win7 32bit. This mean most FSDS2 users will need to change to gMax or virtual machine the program. My understanding is that FSDS2 will run on Win7 64bit but can't register thing things so it is stuck "Trial Mode".

The only thing related to a virtual machine I have messed with is DOSBox to get MDLC working on 64bit systems.

I can't even get 2.24 to install on my machine(7 x64). It says that FSDS 2.24 is not compatible with an x64 operating system. As long as you have a powerful enough machine, VM's are not difficult to work with, it's just a pain to have to move files from the guest to the host constantly. FSDS 3 runs great on a x64 machine. I only hope that the modeling I have done can be imported from 3 to 2.24. It would really bite to have to start over.I will post my findings here in the hopes that it helps someone in the future. Thanks Allen.

ShpHawK

That too. FSDS2 won't install or come out of Demo Mode if you copy FSDS2 from a 32bit system. The FSDS2 it self is a 32bit program. No one has been able to get FSDS2 to work in 64bit.

Looks like models can be transferred between FSDS2 and FSDS3.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...p/t-94107.html look at wolfi post.

"..I only hope that the modeling I have done can be imported from 3 to 2.24."

Yes they can.

That's how all my stuff is done. Build using 3.1 or 3.5, then into 2.24 to export for sims. Works very well.

The difference between FSDS 2 and 3 is that 3 adds FSX compatibility and a few extra animations, but is much much tighter on how you model, everything has to be spot on, otherwise compilation failures, whereas in 2 everything goes!

Cheers

Shessi

That’s not correct…
    I've got it to run on a 64bit Windows 10, but it's very tricky, because you have to install and activate it on a 32 bit System first than go to the registry copy and save 3 entries on an USB stick, than copy the Whole Program Folder also on the USB stick. Now go to your 64bit System, paste first the Program Folder in your “Program” Folder (not into the Program (x86) Folder), then click on the 3 registry entries (they will go automatically in the correct Folder) and start the program as Administrator, you have it always to run as Administrator!!! Otherwise you will have Problem with textures.

You can find those entries in:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Abacus
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Abacus
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\FSdesign2.exe
    You need all 3 entries (right click, copy, - and paste it on you USB stick)
    Well as I said it’s tricky but it works finally for me.
    wolfi

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

I forgot to mention,
    Make always a backup of your windows installation before you do anything with your registry!!!

wolfi

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi View Post
    I forgot to mention,
    Make always a backup of your windows installation before you do anything with your registry!!!

wolfi

Holy crap Wolfi! That's awesome. I am going to do just that. If I haven't figured out making backups and saving often by now, I never will. Thanks. I just created a vm and got 2.24 running but that is a painin the ass, not to mention VMware uses a bunch of resources in the background. looks like I have my registry keys though. Thanks a bunch.

Chuck

Sure enough I was able to compile a working BGL on 2.24 and run it in cfs2. Still Wolfi's advice is the way to go. Now I have my proof of concept. MaskRider, expect a pm asking for permission to use some of your work. If my plan works, you may very well be interested. Thanks to everyone!

ShpHawK

I just wanted to let everyone know that Wolfi was absolutely correct as I now have FSDS 2.24 running on Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Members who have read this thread: 7